Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Shirakawa

Going to Shirakawa-go this weekend! It's a small mountain village with traditional-style buildings and gets some of the highest levels of snowfall in Japan (possibly the world? Just a quick Wikipedia), apparently - which I only just found out, necessitating an emergency run to buy winter boots and a thicker sweater or two tomorrow.... Because of the heavy snow, the houses have very slanted roofs. The itinerary is in Japanese; all I know that we're doing for sure is learning how to make soba noodles, talking with a high school class, and going to an onsen.

It sounds gorgeous and fun, provided I don't freeze. :)

Mountains mountains mountains!

Unfortunately my blasted camera only takes lithium batteries, which I haven't been able to find in Japan despite a Japanese friend's help, so I can't get it to last long. Hopefully I'll be able to get pictures still.

No comments: