Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blank blank blank

Well... in just over a week, I will probably start actually having interesting things to post here.

In the meantime, I am just going to be panic about how terrible my Japanese is, why the hell I'm going across the world for a year to stay in a country that is notoriously xenophobic, how to stuff everything into my suitcases (oh airlines, how I love that you charge for more than one bag. Bastards.), and how long I'll survive before giving in to desperation and attempting seafood.

I am, however, looking forward to classes on subjects that actually interest me, which GW lacks. Well, supposedly - no idea what classes are being offered yet. But samples from previous years that interest me: Language, Society, and Culture; Languages of Europe and Asia; Sociolinguistics; History of Language Teaching in Japan; Law and Society in Japan; Tokyo: Anthropological Fieldwork and Documentary Filmmaking; Anthropology of Urban Japan. Yes, I am a dork. I love comparative language stuff.  Of course, from what I have heard Japanese classes are not very difficult, but still - more of what I am interested in. 

I am looking forward to learning Japanese outside of class - much more fun, if tiring/stressful and potentially embarrassing. But, I suppose that's part of the fun of learning languages - embarrassing yourself and getting to tell entertaining stories about it later...

Ah, I don't know. I'm not a particularly deep person or eloquent writer. Just going way out of my depth and panic and excitement are wearing me out with their little battles for dominance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You'll love it ... just have faith! =)